Chocolate Pecan Whiskey Tart
1 frozen pie crust
2 oz Unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons whiskey
2 cups pecan halves
1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Prick the bottom of the pie shell with a fork and line with aluminum foil, shiny side down.
2. Fill plate with either pie weights or dried beans and bake for 6-8 minutes. Remove beans and foil.
3. Place the pie crust back in the oven for 2 minutes. Cool slightly before adding your filling.
4. Move your oven rack to the bottom third of the oven and adjust the temperature to 350°F.
5. On top of a double boiler, add your chocolate and butter and melt over hot water on medium heat. Stir on occasion to help melt it evenly.
6. Once the chocolate and butter have melted, pull top of double boiler from heat and allow to cool slightly.
7. Spread your pecans out on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until they are toasted and fragrant, about 7-10 minutes. Set aside and cool as you make the rest of your filling.
8. In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly just to break up. Add in sugar and corn syrup and beat again. Add the vanilla, the whisky and the melted butter/chocolate. Make sure it's all blended well together and gently stir in the pecans.
9. Carefully pour filling into the partially baked crust. Aim for middle of the pie to avoid a big mess around the pastry. Pay attention as you pour, if the filling starts to approach your crust do not use all your filling otherwise it will overflow as you bake it.
10. Bake for about 40-50 minutes until the pie is soft to the touch. it should slightly set on the outside with a slight "jiggle" in the center. The filling will set up as the pie cools.
11. Remove the pie from the oven and place it on a cooking rack to cool at room temperature or just slightly warmer.
Enjoy with a glass of Cru Select Orange Chocolate Port or Cru Select Port Style